Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ten Things....

Coach and I had the opportunity to go out last night for the entire evening...without our kids.

This is a big deal for many reasons.  Mainly, because we've had kids with us for the last 13 years.  We dated for about three months before we decided to get married.  We were engaged for all of five minutes when we moved our wedding from January of the next year to September.  We were married for all of three months when we got the news we'd be getting a stork delivery in nine months.  Ever since...we've had kids with us.  It is a rare moment when we get time without one of the three of them.

Last night, we were given this golden opportunity.  It was so nice.  I don't say that in a "we can't stand our kids" sort of way.  I mean it in a "we finally had time together" sort of way.

In reflecting on this experience (something I do quite frequently) I decided to list the top ten things I learned from last night.

1.  It is amazing how much you can cover in a conversation that is uninterrupted.

2.  It is really good to laugh...at each other...at ourselves...and at our life.

3.  Shopping is not something Coach likes to do, but he loves me enough to do it.

4.  Car shopping (or car browsing) is something that gives us both major anxiety.  However...with one headlight that chooses when to be on and a steering wheel that squeaks when you turn...it is something we're both going to have to face doing sooner than later.  

5.  I love my husband more than I take time to realize.  In the chaos of our lives...we sometimes forget why we fell in love in the first place.  When he holds a door for me...when he holds my hand so I don't fall down (which happens a lot in these certain grey boots I have)...when he laughs out loud at my crazy ways...I remember.

6.  A grown up dinner followed by an adult beverage and frozen yogurt is a great date.

7.  We have come a long way since Thanksgiving 1997.  Those who've been with us through that entire time would whole heartedly agree.

8.  Our kids drive make us crazy...but, they are what continued to come up in all of our conversations.  :)  They are our loves and pretty much, our entire life.

9.  A night out every once in a blue moon is a good idea for any married couple.  Getting away from "the norm" helps you remember who you are as a person and not who you are trying to be for everyone else.

10.  There's no place like home.  Home isn't just where you live.  Home is where your comfort lives.  Home for me isn't always our living room.  Home is a place where your heart swells with love.  Being with Coach...with our kids...with our life...that's home.  And there's no place I'd rather be.

Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3

2 comments:

Kari Jacobson said...

I wanna hear the story!!! Did you do an entry about it?! If not, we can just have a coffee date and you can tell me all about it ;)

Kari Jacobson said...

P.s. by the "story" I meant how you met, fell in love, etc.