So many times, we think of children who are hurt by their parents' hand. We forget that the tongue can be as harsh as the hand sometimes. Children are in need of constant encouragement and look for it in every situation. As I am studying to be a teacher, I have seen the effects of encouragement in the lives of children. Each child that walks through the door has a different story. Each child comes from a different place. Each child gets a different reaction to their struggles and successes.
There are times at our house, when my stress level dictates how I parent the boys. When we are financially strapped, I tend to snap at anyone that gets in my way. When I am overwhelmed with our schedule, I tend to be harder on the boys when things don't go the way I expect them to go. No one is perfect. No one. But...we do have a responsibility to uplift and encourage our kids. So often, encouragement is the after effect of my actions. When the boys start to fight and it goes too far, I lose my temper. After the fact, I usually handle things much better...including ways to avoid fighting and encouragement for one another. But it is always my plan B. I need help in making encouragement for my children my plan A.
I don't want my words to choke the boys' happiness in life. I fear that sometimes, they do more than I know. And then I see moments like this...
Big and Little...playing in the yard. Little was getting frustrated with their game of football. And Big...got down on Little's level to encourage him. I love the way this looks. I love the fact that when people get discouraged, we have the opportunity to wrap our words around them instead of choking them with discouragement. Parents, teachers and coaches have this ability...but don't always use it.
We also have this opportunity with our friends, family and coworkers in life. It isn't just about how we handle our children. It is about how we face all those in our lives. If we handle situations with encouragement for others, we'll feel better about ourselves and we'll be giving others an opportunity to pass that encouragement on.
Challenge yourself to encourage ten people today and have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
1 comment:
Oh how I love Big, Little and Middle! Such a sweet picture! Love you sister!
Post a Comment