Five years ago right now, I was on my way to the hospital with contractions.
I was sent home of course. But I went back five hours later.
At 7:47 am, our precious Little was born. I had no idea how badly we needed that little guy in our family. I had no idea how much we would love him. I had no idea how that little baby would fill such a huge void in our lives. A void we didn't even realize we had.
And then I blinked.
A year went by. Late nights and early mornings. Ear infections, colic and teething times what seemed like a million. Three formulas, two types of diapers and multiple pots of coffee later, we were facing Little's first birthday. I held him as we opened gifts and sang his birthday song. I teared up as we served him his cake.
Then I blinked.
Another year gone. Sitting in front of his Lightening McQueen cake, we snapped pictures to remember the moment. He was changing. He was growing up. He was talking to us like no one's business and declared his love for sports. He was spoiled rotten. He was loud and loved by all of us more than we thought we could love.
Then we blinked.
Hard to believe we'd had this little guy for three years. He could name every NFL team by their team logo. He liked to dress himself and drink nothing but Sunny D and chocolate milk. He ate whatever he wanted for lack of energy to fight him, and he spent many mornings snuggled up with me on the couch watching his favorite cartoons. His birthday brought forth his love of football and Halloween offered many laughs with his horse costume. We also had our first of many goose eggs, and our first set (of many) stitches.
Then we blinked.
Happy 4th birthday Little. We celebrated with footballs and helmets. He declared his dislike for candy corn AFTER I had made candy corn cupcakes for him to share with his classmates. He had started preschool and was learning to love the Lord with all of his heart from his sweet teacher Mrs. Abel. "Do your best and save the rest for God who loves you" became one of our favorite sayings. Patience was not our strong suit and we started to get on the nerves of our older brothers. We had many injuries at our summer of baseball, and made many new friends.
Then we blinked.
Here we are at your 5th birthday. How does this happen? A baby that none of us knew we needed. None of us, but God. Never did I understand the concept of...
You plan, God laughs
until Little. We drug the highchair out to the curb and smiled. We sold the baby bed and all the baby clothing we'd ever saved. We got rid of car seats, diaper bags and toys galore. All to find out we'd be having one more. After crying from shock and eventually joy...we thanked the Lord for this blessing in all of our lives. The Nelson's weren't meant to be a family of four. I wasn't meant to be a Referee of 2. We are proudly the Nelson 5 and I am so glad to be the Referee of 3 wonderful boys. Stinky...loud...crazy boys. But they are mine and I adore them.
It seems like just yesterday...and then I blinked. Little got bigger. My eyes fill with tears when I even think about the times I could hold him in my arms. Gulp.
You'll all be happy and a smidge relieved to know I ordered his birthday cake. No comments necessary on this...ok?
Happy Birthday to my Little. I love you the most and you'll never know how grateful we are to have you in our lives. You are so loved. No matter how big you get, you'll always always always...
be my Little.
Referee of 3


1 comment:
AWE......just read this one. With tears. probably Amy size tears. Its just so unfair that those first 5 years don't last longer! What a precious precious little boy you've been given!
Post a Comment