You think I've lost my mind...don't you?
Well...perhaps I have. Let me just share with you our night. This is a night that I like to refer to as Groundhog's Day...simply because it happens OVER and OVER and OVER again. As my sweet children enter my office after school...they are fighting. As we walk to the van...they are fighting. As we drive home...they are fighting. As they walk into the house...they are fighting.
You're stupid.
No...you are stupid.
Oh yeah? Well you are slow.
Whatever. You're slow.
You want to race?
No.
Oh...because you are scared?
No...I just know I'll win.Alright...ENOUGH! EVERYONE STOP TALKING RIGHT NOW! EITHER YOU TREAT ONE ANOTHER WITH RESPECT OR YOU'LL RUN THE ENTIRE BLOCK.
laughter begins.
(I can actually hear my Mother's voice when I say this) OK BOYS...THAT IS FINE. START RUNNING.
In typical fashion, as I drive around the block to ensure myself that they are in fact serving the very fair and humane punishment I just handed out, I find exactly what I thought I would. Big took the entire block, but is walking quickly. Middle ran the whole way, but cheated and took a shortcut. Typical.
They get home and laughter continues.
BOTH OF YOU...TO THE TABLE. YOU WILL WRITE ON FRONT AND BACK OF THIS PAPER, I WILL NOT FIGHT WITH MY BROTHER. IN CURSIVE.
laughter...again.
(And again...I hear my Mother's voice) OH SO YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY? GO TO YOUR ROOMS AND DON'T COME OUT UNTIL DINNER! (insert cuss word here)
Oh nice. Cussing will help. They'll love that and they can use it against me.
I SHOULDN'T HAVE SAID THAT. NOW GET TO YOUR ROOMS!
There...that's better. Now they can't use that against me.
You see...after 12 years of parenting. I still don't have this all figured out. In fact, I rarely know what I am doing. I am so tired of the fighting, but clearly handling all of this on my own is not working. So last night, at prayer time, I included the Big Guy. With the boys...we talked to God about how to respect each other and how to love each other. In loving one another and treating others as they would want to be treated, their relationship will grow with one another as they grow. And I think I ended it with...And Lord, please remind them that just because we are parents, does not mean we are perfect. We fall short and miss our opportunity from time to time, to win the award. Obviously last night...I was first runner up. Oh well, maybe next time.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
No comments:
Post a Comment