Saturday, October 10, 2015

Oh Dear...

If you've ever taken off the bumper of another car in a Target parking lot...you are in good company.

Let me start at the beginning.

One sunny October morning, I went to Target.  I tried to stay on task during my trip as much as possible.  I was there for three birthday gifts for the parties that Little had to attend today.  I ended up with three birthday gifts, a teasing brush, and doggie stairs.  Don't judge me.  They looked interesting so I bought them.

As I walked to my car, I saw the car of a friend pulling into a store down the way.  I should go say hello...I thought to myself.  With that, I started my husbands large truck, and pulled out of my parking stall at a slight angle.  (who am I kidding...I might as well have been sideways)  I heard a bit of a crunching/scraping sound so I stopped.  I thought to myself...self-if you back up, you'll re scrape what you've already scraped.  If you go forward, you'll do more damage.  With a split second decision, I decided it best to pull forward and find a new spot to stop and check damage.  With continued scraping, I went on.  I pulled around the corner with many onlookers (awesome) and jumped out to check on the precious truck we refer to as "Big Tex".  Dents and scrapes with some colorful paint...just as I suspected.  Coach will be thrilled...I thought to myself.  Then I walked over to the victim car that I hit.  As I rounded the corner, I see the entire bumper of the car...on the ground.

Yes.

The ground.

I'm going to replace all unfortunate words with Bless (thanks Jen Hatmaker) for the remainder of this post to save your eyes and ears.

BLESS.  I thought to myself.

I called Coach in a panic and then called the Police.

What seemed like hours went by before the owner of the unfortunate victim car came unsuspectingly out of Target to find her car...shall we say...broken.  I apologized for the misfortune and fielded many questions of passer byers.

I saw many people shaking their heads and judging me.  I saw mothers with young children answering questions about how such a thing could happen.  I even had a group of teenagers come to see the damage and then laugh...LAUGH...all the way to their car.

Teenagers...you are not bright and I forgive you.

After filling out a police report and going through the motions of being the one at fault, I finally got in Big Tex and drove slowly home.  I sent a few messages to my friends as I was in need of their immediate support.  I was greeted by ice cream sundaes and butterfingers throughout the day, but it still remains a sore subject with Coach and no doubt...the unsuspecting Target shopper who shall remain nameless.

We all make mistakes.

Some are larger and more damaging than others.  However...I have the support and love from so many friends who no doubt laughed until they cried first...and then offered sweet treats and kind words.

I like to name events in my life that alter me in some way, shape, or form.

We shall forever refer to this as the Bumper Removal of 2015.  I won't be driving Big Tex ever again, and I probably won't be heading to Target for awhile unless the doggie stairs don't work out as planned.  Bless...bless...bless.

Thanks for listening, laughing, and as always, have a blessed day.

Referee of 3

Bless



No comments: