In this life, I've never been accused of someone that has it "together". I used to get super frustrated with this fact. I guess I've gotten used to it because it really doesn't bother me that I'm not the most organized mother on the face of the earth. I'll never win an award for most organized kitchen cabinets or cleanliest laundry room. In fact...my own mother bought me a book for Christmas for the sole purpose of helping me get better organized. I lost that book in the Galveston cruise ship port. If you are shocked, you don't know me very well. You'll also not be surprised to know that I found that book later when I unloaded a bag that we missed when we unloaded the others. For someone who isn't very "together"...I'm usually pretty lucky.
Some people live their life with order and routine. I am not one of those people. Which is probably why my plants never make it. I forget...in the crazy chaos of life...to water them. When I plant them, I always tell myself to get up first thing in the morning, get coffee, and water the flowers. I tell myself in my best "mom" voice...make it a habit. Do it every day and you'll eventually get used to it. This is coming from someone who usually washes her hair twice in the shower because she can't remember if she has washed it once already. I don't do things in the same order...ever. It is bad and it REALLY bothers my type A husband and children. Poor things.
As I was looking at my pretty flowers and noticing how wilted and sad they were looking from lack of water, I realized something. I too feel wilted and sad sometimes. It is amazing to me how I can connect my relationship with God to my sad and wilted flowers.
Keep reading...I'll wrap this up soon.
If we don't give ourselves the opportunity to live in the word every day, we tend to get sad...and wilted. We become bitter and we react, rather than respond to situations that arise. We become thirsty...like the flowers. Flowers that are watered consistently are so much prettier to look at. They stand tall and have bright and gorgeous colors.
I'm so guilty of forgetting to quench my own thirst. I forget to read my bible. I forget to open a devotional. I forget to pray. I forget to include God in my every day decisions. And when I do...I can tell. People around me can tell.
I hate that.
I don't want to be a sad, dried up flower. I want to be strong and stand tall.
It isn't just about making myself be in the word every day either. It is about surrounding myself with people who want to be seen in that light as well. Unfortunately...when we put ourselves in the company of those who don't care about quenching that thirst...we too become dried up. It's crazy.
I heard the words of a song the other day that really hit this home for me.
The song said..."let them see you in me".
There's much more...but those are the words that play over and over in my mind.
Let them see you...in me.
Another song that always plays in my mind says this...
"come to the water, you who thirst...and you'll thirst no more"
I have a couple of goals for myself. One...not to kill my pretty porch flowers. I only planted two pots. I thought to myself..."I can handle two pots...right?" We'll see...says the woman who shampoos twice. And two...to be better at quenching my own thirst. I need to let people see God in me. As my Big goes through confirmation this weekend, I need him to see God in me too.
Challenge accepted.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of
No comments:
Post a Comment