Monday, July 7, 2014

Focus

Dear God,

Please be with...
Please help...
Please give me peace with...
Did I ever pull those baseball pants out of the washer?
Did we miss the boys' haircuts last week?
How many days until we report back to school?
Oh...sorry God.  
Uhmmmmmm...please give me strength and patience for...
Is our dog out?  Whose dog is barking like that?  What time is it?  
Is that my phone?  
Sorry God...I'm out.  
Amen

Welcome to my prayer time.  It isn't always like this.  Sometimes it is worse.  I can't focus.  When I do focus, I'm interrupted.  I feel like a failure at praying, yet I know the importance of doing so.  

At church yesterday, our pastor talked about "firework moments" in your walk with Christ.  How some people have amazing firework moments while others have moments that come a little at a time.  Sometimes a building is in the way...but you can see the fireworks enough to know they are there and you can imagine that in all their glory, how amazing they must be.  

Sometimes my walk can be like that.  I stray far enough away from my faith that the fireworks are almost out of sight completely.  But...I catch a glimpse and I'm pulled back in.  I tried to sit this morning and have quiet prayer time because I was searching for the fireworks.  That's when the crazy prayer from above happens.  

I am in need of focus.  

Maybe I'll start small...like with exercise.  If I start with 5 push ups...I'll find my way to many push ups.  

Dear God,
Please help me focus on you.
Amen  

I know God knows the desires of my heart.  I'll try to put less in words and more in shifting my focus and finding the fireworks again.  

Now...about those baseball pants...

Referee of 3

No comments: