I couldn't sleep. Neither could Middle. He was invited to go on a REAL fishing trip this morning with my cousin's husband. He is what we like to refer to as a master fisherman. And Middle decided he too would be a master fisherman sometime last summer between the first 100 degree day and the last. He would gather all of his things and head to the pond day after day after day. Who knows what he'd think about while he was down there, but he loved it. So today, we were up at 5:30am, brushing our teeth, putting on our hat, and grabbing all of our "gear". When it was time to go and the boat pulled up, I am quite certain his cheeks couldn't have gotten any brighter. He was so excited. And I am excited for him. But when it was time to head back inside and to bed, I couldn't sleep. This, and the two cups of coffee I have already had is going to provide us with our 10 things list for today. I have at least one million things going on in my head right now, but I thought I'd blog about the top 10. So here goes.
1. Someone once told me that if we think our problems are hard, we should throw them in a pile with the rest of the world's problems. When seeing what others are facing on a day to day basis, we'd search and search just to get our problems back. I would have to say I agree with this. There are moments each day when I want to fall down and throw a little baby fit because of how something or someone upset me. And don't let me fool you for one second. There ARE days that I totally do this. On the way down, I usually grab the cookie dough and a spoon. But I totally meltdown. And Facebook can be one of the most distracting things in my life. Just yesterday I was writing a paper and after every paragraph, I would head over to Facebook to see what else was happening...besides my horrible, no good, rotten, paper. As I said, Facebook can be ever distracting...but, it can also be such a communication device for those in need. Last night, prayer requests were coming in from all over for a girl in our community with leukemia. She is fighting the battle of her life...literally. And there is peace in knowing so many people are praying. The message caught on like wildfire and post after post was asking for prayers for Taylor. Which I am going to do again. Please, please, please, pray for Taylor. She needs it. He hears it. Please pray for healing. One of my lifelong friends found out not too long ago that she too is battling this horrible cancer. Another friend's two year old son is fighting this disease. Please join me in praying for Taylor, Tamara, and Jackson. Stupid, stupid, stupid cancer. Pray, pray, pray.
2. In my Content Area Literacy class last night we are reading a book called Readicide, by Kelly Gallagher. It is basically about how schools today are "killing" children's love for reading. Long story...good book...not my point here though. In the book, the author talks about how he uses the book Hamlet in class. He teaches of how Hamlet is basically about being a decent human being once you get past all the thou art, lest, etc. There are a list of "rules" listed and the last one was To thine own self be true. Awww yes. To thine own self be true. Self explanatory I believe. But...what does this mean...really? Well...the book suggests that it means if you are true to yourself, you won't be false to others. Fake is blech. I realize when speaking of Shakespeare and Hamlet, blech is not exactly the language that fits, but it is what it is. I cannot deal with fake behavior. Be who you are. Sometimes I feel like I do this too much. There is a difference between being who you are and not being nice. Be who you are...own it...but don't be ugly. If ugly is who you are...you don't want that either. The thing is...if you are true to yourself...you won't have to put on a show for others. And when the curtains come down, you don't have to be ashamed of who you are behind them. If you eat cookie dough to cope with life...so be it. Don't pretend you don't. And don't think for a second that I eat cookie dough in my closet to hide the fact that I eat it. I do that so I don't have to share with my kids. Fo Rizzle.
3. Football is just around the corner. This is both exciting and awful. I say exciting because I absolutely love the atmosphere of a small town in football season. The crisp fall leaves, the cool air, the sound of the band practicing in the distance...I just love it. I imagine it now because it is 109 degrees in the shade, there is no breeze and the band would be crazy to practice right now. I love the feeling. I love the excitement in my boys' eyes as they get their helmets and their cleats for the season. I love the sound of the high school videos from years past playing over...and over...and over...in Little's room. But...I would be lying if I said I didn't get a little pouty during football season as well. It is difficult making it all work. Schedules...meals...homework...etc. The thought of it makes me a little...nervous. However...if this is one of my "problems" that I spoke of in paragraph 1...I'm good. Are you ready for some football? (yes...I suppose I am) said in my squeaky little tiny voice.
4. The end of the semester is near. Which means only one thing right now. Another one is starting. Ugh.
5. Old Settlers (our town fair) is just a few weeks away. I LOVE Old Settlers. Coach...does not. Oh well. I'll just tempt him with a funnel cake and he'll come with me. I know the way to that man's heart.
6. Do you ever feel like you have a cartoon cloud above your head with a little mini tornado going on inside of it? No? Hmmm...I thought maybe others felt this way. Every once in awhile...something falls out of the tornado and I remember I was supposed to have taken care of that three days ago. Must get organized before school starts.
7. Oh yes...school. Geez. It will be here in a few weeks as well. Before Old Settlers even. Ack! Enrollment...school clothes...shoes...backpacks...school supplies...where are those lists? I double booked a shopping day already. Dang it. Cookie dough. Yes...this is definitely a cookie dough situation.
8. We have an adult pool party to attend tonight. Which skirted tankini do I choose? Ugh. Stupid cookie dough.
9. I have decided that I love cleaning to music. It gets me motivated (which is difficult to do) and keeps me moving. It is somewhat embarrassing when someone comes in unexpectedly as you are belting out Call Me Maybe.
10. Running. This is not my thing. However...I am trying it. I am doing it at my own pace. No 5ks in my future. Just a simple "learn to run and not hate it" approach going on right now. I think it works for me. I mean...let's be real. Hey I just met you...and running is crazy...but I'll keep going...so cookie dough can continue to be my coping mechanism. It works...right?
In all seriousness, please continue to pray for Taylor, Tamara, Jackson, and anyone else that is in the thick of their battle right now. I joke about all things happening in the crazy Nelson household, but I am completely serious when I say that I know that I know that I know...God is listening. He is with them...comforting and doing His thing. We don't get to understand, but we do get to offer our help in prayer. Please pray. Also, I ask that you pray for my friend Katie. She is leaving on Monday for Africa to go there to teach. To teach is to touch lives. But this girl is going beyond the call and the comfort...creating a path of her very own. I wish her the best of luck and ask that you pray for safe travels and an incredible, life changing school year. Katie...you'll be AWESOME. <3 She says she'll be blogging about her experiences. As soon as I know her blog address, I'll add it for anyone who wants to follow. And finally, please pray for the families in Colorado who have experienced a tragedy beyond belief. I don't understand it. I can't even pretend to know what to say. Just pray.
Have a blessed Friday!
Referee of 3
1 comment:
You ARE an inspiration. Thank You!!!
Post a Comment