Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious.
Do not be anxious.
Do not be anxious.
The other day, I had to buy ice cream for my son's valentine's day party. Our head room Mom is one that never misses a beat. No detail gets left out. She is scheduled, ready, and excited about the parties in our school. I...am...exactly the opposite.
I am good if I remember the napkins that I have been put in charge of, the day of the party. And she is so good, that she has napkins...just in case.
Anyway, I was put in charge of the ice cream for the banana splits. That's right. You heard right. She planned banana splits for the kids. And she left the most important ingredient to me.
I had friends sending text reminders and I made myself a note for my desk. I highlighted it in orange so I wouldn't miss it.
I clocked out and headed for the store to get ice cream...and pretzels. But the ice cream was obviously the main purpose of my trip.
As I walked to the van, I repeated...
Ice cream...ice cream...ice cream. I walked and thought about nothing other than the ice cream. So much that when I got to the store, my head was fuzzy. Ice cream was all I could think about. I got it. I paid for it. And I left.
As soon as I got back to work, I was beaming with pride. I REMEMBERED THE ICE CREAM! No children would go without sundaes because of me! This was huge. However...I forgot the pretzels.
Dang it.
Remembering the ice cream...or actually, the thought of forgetting, made me quite anxious. There are so many things happening in our lives that I am anxious more than I am not. And most generally, I am not an anxious person.
I worry about basketball practices and pitching lessons. Baseball money deadlines and homework due dates. I worry about the grades of my kids and the fence at the baseball field. I worry about dinner and lunch money. I worry about taking this test for my degree and paying off my student loans. I worry about taxes and ironing. I worry about the five hundred sugar cookies I have consumed in the last 48 hours and how that will affect my hardworking Zumba practicing! I worry about my children's health and generic prescriptions...and co pays.
I am anxious. And the Lord says NO.
Do not be anxious in anything. ANYTHING? Anything. But in everything...present your requests to God.
Lord...quiet my heart. Calm my brain. Relax my body. Get rid of the sugar cookies.
Be still...and know that I am God.
Okay...I will. I have no other choice, but to be obedient.
Do not be anxious. Do not be anxious. Do not be anxious.
I remembered the ice cream...maybe I can remember that God has this.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
1 comment:
You just described me perfectly! I memorize this verse; repeat it over and over, and still worry! I think that I still worry because ultimately I know that even though God WILL provide for my every need; it may not always be in the way I want it. But thank you for the reminder... right now I'm in a fit of worry because one child is vomiting and I'm afraid the others will get it to (oh and I'm in the hospital with a brand new baby!). DO NOT BE ANXIOUS! Again, thanks for reminding me :)
Post a Comment