When I brought Middle home from the hospital, I was in love. I was in love with the fact that I had a new baby. I was in love with the fact that I could say the term "my boys" in reference to my children. I was in love with his beautiful eyes and his sweet chubby cheeks. And I was in love with the fact that Big was a Big Brother!
Big was not as in love with being a Big Brother.
On the first day that Coach returned to work after Middle was born, I thought to myself...I've got this.
I was holding my beautiful valentine and sitting on Big's bed. Big was playing with his toys and he had taken off one of his shoes. He turned to me and said what I thought to be...
I don't hate Middle.
Tearing up and loving that my Big loved my Middle as much as I did, I held out my sweet Middle for Big to see him better.
About that time, Big hit Middle in the head with his shoe.
STUNNED...I screamed. I held Middle and said..."BIG! Why did you do that?"
Apparently what he actually said was...
I'm gonna hit Middle. Not I don't hate Middle.
New Moms with little or no sleep tend to hear things the way they want to. Clearly, I wanted Big to love Middle.
Even more clearly...he did not. I am SUCH a good Mom.
Immediately I called Coach and told him to take another five weeks off so we could figure out how to parent two children at one time.
A year later, nothing had changed.
Middle has brought so much joy to our lives. And I think given the opportunity, even Big would admit that. So...in honor of Middle's special 10th Birthday, I decided to do a top 10 reasons of why we love Middle.
These pictures are all scanned in so please don't count me off for bad photography. Middle was pre-digital cameras.
1. Middle was the only child we actually planned. For that, we love him.
2. Middle is a risk taker. He has been since birth. His delivery nurse would vouch for this.
3. Middle has always been a sharp dressed man.
4. Middle's cheeks make me smile. He got the best of both of us. We LOVE his cheeks.
5. Middle has always been very expressive with his emotions.
6. This shirt needed to be purchased in every size from 2T to 19years of age. Too bad they only had 2T. His attitude is larger than life. He gets that from me.
7. Middle is our peace maker. He doesn't stay angry long...and you can't stay angry with him either. Look at those eyes!
8. Middle's laugh is contagious. He makes us all giggle in the most awkward of times. He has since he could talk. I used to laugh when he talked. Then he started sentences with "My Mom SAYS...". I stopped laughing.
9. Middle has one of the most compassionate hearts I know. He is giving and loving...and he never asks why. He just does. I LOVE this about him.
10. Middle is a Momma's boy. He and I are connected in a way no one understands. He inherited the nervous laugh. His nose scrunches when he laughs and his eyes squint when he smiles. He loves to sing and he dances in the shower. He is my love. He is my sweet valentine and I adore him.
Happy Birthday Middle! We love you so so so much!
Referee of 3
No comments:
Post a Comment