I got up this morning and read my devotion. If the blog has made me do anything, it has made me get up and read. I have tried and tried to make myself read a devotion everyday for a long time, but never could make myself follow through. That is something I am willing to admit. I am good on the ideas, I am good when I put my mind to the task at hand, but I am terrible on the Follow Through. Coach and I were discussing this yesterday and I was laughing so hard I was in tears...because he is dead on. I start a new diet every other Monday...I have 17 workout DVDs in my case...I started making to do lists at the beginning of the year to help my forgetful mind...haven't printed one in two weeks. I have shelves of undone scrapbooks, I have a cross-stitch that I started when I was pregnant with Tanner...who will be 8 in two weeks sitting in my nightstand. I am good with the start, not so good with the finish...so this blog is my new challenge. For the "consistently inconsistent"...as my dear friend Trista so eloquently put it...the blog is making me follow through with quite possibly one of the most important tasks of my life...my relationship with Christ. We are one week in...please pray that I will stay on task!
Okay, so today's devotion was entitled Looking for compassion. The verse that went with it is this...
And behold a leper came and worshiped Him saying, "Lord if You are willing, You can make me clean." Matthew 8:
Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him saying, "I am willing, be cleansed." Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. Matthew 8:3
These two verses are so powerful. This man had been banished from his family, his friends, and everything he knew from this disease. He was willing to take the risk. He makes one appearance, has one request, and receives one touch. But that one touch changed his life forever.~Max Lucado, Just Like Jesus
Okay...one touch changed his life forever.
Along with being inconsistent, I am very non-confrontational. I don't like to be put in situations where I feel like I am out of control or that I am not guided. I am terrible in situations of loss. When someone we know and/or love is going through a time of grief and loss, I tend to back away for fear I will say something wrong...or offend them in their most fragile time. When someone is having trouble, I tend to avoid the situation rather than speak my mind in an effort to save face. (Not always, but most of the time) What I am slowly learning is that I am never NOT guided. God is always with me and he is usually the one pushing me to go forward and give that one Godly touch. When I read these verses today, it all made sense. People need God. He is in my heart and I am available to share his love. With anyone, anytime. Uhmmm, that kind of scares me...what if I say or do the wrong thing. In my head, I always think that I NEED to say something...anything, to break that awkward silence. But the truth is, the Godly touch doesn't always need to be words. Sometimes, a hug, a smile, a touch is all that person needs to feel God's love. And if I can put myself out there in the most awkward time of my life, that one touch just might be all that person needs to receive, feel and pass on His love to someone else! Compassion...
One day not that long ago, Mom and I were sitting in a restaurant. A girl walked by and she was staring straight ahead. We made eye contact and I smiled. My Mom said, "Do you know that girl?" I did not. I had no idea who she was, but she had a look on her face like her mind was full of worry. When I smiled, the most amazing thing happened...she smiled back. If our Godly touches were received and passed on every single time...can you imagine? Today, I will make a consciounce effort to touch the people around me with God's love. Who knows...there just might be some consistency there on my part. Off to Tanner's last basketball game! Have a wonderful day.
Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment