I read something yesterday that really resonated with me.
Ironically, the quote came from the wrapper of my Dove chocolate. (Diets...am I right?)
I'm paraphrasing here because anyone who knows me knows that I have memory issues. We'll just leave it at that. The wrapper said something along the lines of this.
When things don't go right, go left.
I smiled when I looked at it and then it was on my mind for the rest of the day. I thought a lot about how many times I've gone "left" in my forty-one years of life.
Looking back can be dangerous, but sometimes it is so helpful to see how far you've come. I'm not a person who generally makes the right choice the first time. I like to make things more challenging and usually, it takes my making the wrong choice to learn the lesson. I've lived for a long time thinking I've messed things up, or that I'm a disaster.
Honestly and truly, I am a bit of a disaster. I'm not the most organized person you'll ever meet and that is putting it nicely. I struggle with being tidy and am hardly ever on time. There's more, but I think that is enough of a description. I used to let the above definitions define me. I used to think I was kind of a mess and that my life was just a reflection of all of the wrong choices I had made when life wasn't going right. I've since realized this isn't the truth.
And then, I saw the quote. It made me think about how many times I've had to go left when things weren't going right. All the times when I thought life was wrong was simply an opportunity to do it differently.
If life had gone "right" from the get-go, I wouldn't be married to my husband. I wouldn't have my boys. I wouldn't have the tolerant heart that I feel like I have. I wouldn't understand others who are like me. I wouldn't be a teacher. I wouldn't be living in Mulvane. Etc., etc., etc.
I often think about one of my very favorite Bible verses and wonder if all of my "lefts" were actually part of HIS plan for my life. When I was younger, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted. "I" had a plan for my life that looked completely different from what it is now. If my life had been "right" according to my plan, I'd never have all that I have today. I can't help but think that God's plan for my life included some of the "lefts".
I'm thankful for the mistakes. I'm thankful for the lessons. I'm thankful for the hard times. I wouldn't be who I am if life had gone "right" all the time. What about you?
Sometimes you have to trust the "left".
Bless.
Referee of Three
No comments:
Post a Comment