Thursday, March 17, 2016

I've Forgotten How To Pray

It's true.

It seems strange because I used to be pretty good at it, but it seems somehow...the noise of life has gotten in the way...and I've forgotten how to pray.  I've forgotten the benefits of having that one on one connection with God.

I say that I need to pray all of the time.

I even used to post that I was praying on facebook.  And I TRIED to pray.  I really did.  If someone was in need, I bowed my head and said a short prayer for that need...and then that was it.

Over the past year...or even two, we as a family have experienced some changes.  Growing pains much like those of anyone else with teenagers and a lengthy marriage, but changes none the less.  During that time, I've noticed an increase in anxiety and a decrease in peace.  I have tried everything from reading self help books to calming teas and oils.  Life has become very chaotic and I just couldn't figure out what was missing.  We started going to a new church that seemed to fit our family's needs quite well.  We were very present and accounted for each week, and I even took extensive notes to help me continue throughout the week with the thoughts of the message.  Good stuff...good, good stuff (as an old friend used to tell me).  However...I was still anxious and lacking peace of mind

I'm not that dumb...I thought to myself as I read this morning's devotion.  Right?  I'm not that foolish that I would be missing something as simple as prayer in my life.  Right?

WRONG.

So...so...so...wrong.  I HAVE been missing prayer.  I've been missing the direct connection with God in my life.  When everything else has gone haywire (and believe me...it has), I tried everything, but talking with the one who is bigger than everything.  I (once again) thought that I was in control and that I was responsible for the happenings in my life...both good and bad.  You'd think I was new to all of this.

As a result, I sat down this morning and prayed.  I prayed for a long time...about everything I could think of.  It was not easy as my mind was clouded and distracted.  Like everything in life, I think I need to practice good prayer habits and focus on training myself to pray.

BUT I PRAYED.

And I guess what I'm saying is...that is a start.

I forgot how to pray...and then suddenly, God helped me remember.

Have a good one!
Referee of 3

No comments: