Being a Mom of three boys...I understand the long way all too well. I don't actually know a little boy that walks from point A to point B without taking a detour or two. My children don't know the direct path to anything. And I guess that is okay. My sweet mother in law gave me a cartoon once that I had on my refrigerator for a long time. It was a Family Circle cartoon and it showed the path the brother took home as opposed to the path that sister took. This cartoon isn't it, but it serves the same purpose. Consider this cartoon to be the path of brother.
The funny thing is that she gave me that cartoon when we just had Big. And at that point, I thought...oh yes...this is perfect. Then we had Middle. Even more fitting. And now we have Little. I have considered painting the bottom of his shoes every day just so I can follow that child. We try to dress him in bright colors as often as possible and just follow the sound of his loud, booming voice. I am quite certain that the only direct route he has EVER taken was at birth. I'll say no more.
My point...
As frustrated as I get sometimes with this long way approach to life, sometimes I think that is how God wants us to be. He makes little boys (and little girls) exactly that way for a reason. They have time to explore when they go the long way. Taking the direct path, sometimes cheats us of the beauty and the discoveries that the long way has to offer.
As an adult, I've taken the long way on a lot of things. Not usually on purpose because time doesn't allow for that sort of thing. Most of the time the long way comes after making several mistakes. When I surrender my map, and take the path that the Lord has set forth for me...I end up enjoying the journey so much more.
Along the path of the long way, I learn things I missed trying to get there in a hurry. I have learned a lot on the path of the long way and I can now look back and be thankful for that detour. I've learned to hang onto some things tighter...and when it's time to let other things go. I've learned to love more and worry less. I've learned to appreciate the beauty of the things in life that deserve my time...and to turn the other cheek to the things that don't.
Just for kicks...slow down and take a wrong turn sometime. You'll be amazed by what you'll see. And...if you see Little while you are there...let me know. He'll be wearing a bright orange shirt and you'll hear him coming from a mile away. :D
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3

1 comment:
Ah, again so true, Amy-loo! The detours, distraction, bends and forks can make for a tricky ride, but that's how Dorothy found her friends, right? While I'll never understand the valley that brought us together, I count you among my daily blessings and am so grateful for all that is Amy. ;)
Post a Comment