Tuesday, May 28, 2019
Waiting in the Car
I've mastered the art of "waiting in the car". Since I married Steve, we've made countless trips to this very spot. In fact, the night I fell in love with Steve, he was heading out to the cemetery to spend time with his Dad on Christmas Eve. The thought moved me from my very selfish and immature place in life to a place where I could see how much this man had been through and how much I loved someone other than myself.
Like I said, we've been here many times. It was always important to his Mom to come and add new flowers and spend time with the ones she'd lost. My parents and grandparents have also always impressed upon us the importance of going to the cemetery and honoring those who've gone before us. In the times when I went with Steve and his family, I would stand back quietly. I am and always have been a very empathetic person, so I usually stood very sad with tears for the ones I loved who were hurting, missing their husband and father. Eventually, to give them their time, I'd "go wait in the car". It always felt like the right thing to do.
As our lives changed, we'd take two little boys with us to the headstone to put out flowers and be there for Steve. That was always a bit challenging, but we made it work. They'd sit on the stone gate that is near the headstone and we'd play while Steve had his time. As our third one came along, the others were old enough to recognize why we were there and they'd keep him entertained while the adults stood and remembered their past lives. With tears in their eyes and a nod from Steve, I'd take the boys to "wait in the car" while they had their time.
Two years ago, the place where we'd visit a Grandpa they'd never met, suddenly became the place where we go to see our beloved Nana. The woman who played a very important role in all of our lives, the one we'd stand beside in our times visiting the cemetery, was now the one we were coming to talk to and talk about. It doesn't make any sense...still. Yet here we are.
Today, as we passed the cemetery taking Brady's friend home from camp, he asked if we could stop and see Nana. I suddenly found myself standing beside him and I realized that he was ready for his time. I said to him what I've said to the others all these years..."I'll go wait in the car."
And I did.
I sat there as I've done before, praying for the hands of Jesus to wrap around the heart of my not so little boy missing a pretty special lady in his life. Gone too soon and too quickly for any of us to even comprehend
On the way home, I asked him something I've never asked anyone else before. I asked what he said to her. Without revealing too much, he simply said he told her that he loved her, he missed her, and he hopes to live a life like her so that he can be with her someday.
My heart.
Such a simple concept from such a sweetheart.
We should all hope to want for something so simple, but so amazing.
She had a heart like Jesus. She loved her Lord. May we love those we've lost, live like Jesus, and be with them again.
Wise words my sweet Little.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment