Right now-we are in a season of life that brings constant confusion and chaos.
I want you to know as I am writing, I am thinking to myself that I wouldn't have it any other way. I actually feel like I if we didn't have constant chaos, something would be wrong.
We went to a birthday party yesterday and we were early. This (for anyone who knows me) is not something that happens often. We were fifteen minutes early AND we had our gift and card ready to go. As we sat in the parking lot, I asked Little how he felt. He said it felt good to be early. In fact, he said, "So this is what it feels like to be on time!"
He's so cute...when he isn't insulting me.
I get it. I understand how I'm the parent and they depend on me to be routined, organized, and on time. However, I wish sometimes our kids understood the workings of our inner minds. I like to refer to my brain as a file cabinet. Most people have nice, organized, neatly labeled files. Mine, is a cabinet that got tipped over and all the files are scattered on the floor.
Somehow-by the grace of God...we get most of the important stuff done. However, we slip up sometimes and things become stressful.
Last week, I felt like I was at an all time high for chaos. With my family, my job, my cheer team, and our up and coming fall conferences, I felt like I was going to lose something in the shuffle. I kept thinking to myself...there has to be more to this life than all this chaos.
When I was in high school, I was a waitress at Pizza Hut. I liked talking to people and enjoyed working with my friends. One time, I had a big party of guests who all ordered large drinks. I filled the drink order and walked carefully to the table. As I leaned down to set down one of the cups, I knocked one over and they all fell. From there, it seemed like life was moving in slow motion. Waves of water and soft drinks came splashing onto the table and all of the guests were soaked. I wanted to cry and remember waiting for the severe tongue lashing that would no doubt come from my customers, followed by my boss.
However-those words never came. I'm sure they were upset and frustrated that I tried to carry too many cups, but they never made me feel bad. Everyone was very understanding of the accident that happened. When we got them dried off and directed to a new table, I went back to the counter and filled their drinks again. This time, I took two trips. I made the adjustments necessary to be successful in that moment.
I think this happens a lot in life. We think we can do more than we actually can, so we load up our tray with anything that will "fit". Then, in the moment of delivery, something falls and the whole tray goes down.
I felt that way last week with our crazy, chaotic life. I couldn't figure out what was missing. And then it hit me.
I had filled my tray with so much, that I didn't leave room for God. When I realized what was missing, I knew I had to figure out how to make two trips. In just a few days time, I was able to add my devotion time back into my life, I spent time in prayer, and immediately had peace.
Sometimes when we are overwhelmed, we think we need to cut things out of our life. And this might be true at a point. However, sometimes you don't have to get rid of anything. You just have to prioritize what you have, make adjustments, and include God in those moments.
You would think at 38, I wouldn't have to keep re-learning these lessons.
I guess that is why we are life long learners. I'm so thankful for customers, bosses, family, and friends that understand when the tray of drinks comes crashing down.
Just food for thought.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
No comments:
Post a Comment