After spending time with my sweet Granny and Mom this weekend, I have a new perspective on my cell phone. It is always interesting to me to get someone else's view on a topic. On our three hour car ride home, we discussed many things as we were covered in packages and squished beyond belief. One of those being how disconnected our society is because of our cell phones. We've all seen the commercials. We've all seen the Facebook videos about putting your phone down and finding life again. What got me was my Granny's voice saying "I just don't get it." She was so sincere in her words and it really made me think. To be honest...I don't get it either. I don't know why we can't go ANYWHERE without our phones. I don't know why we can't sit through a dinner...or a movie...or a conversation without checking in with our friends, followers, etc. I am guilty. Guilty as charged. And hearing my Granny ask about our family dinners and our rules for phones made me kind of ashamed. We should be more present in our lives, yet we are living examples of what we dislike about our children and their phone habits. I say we because thinking there are others out there like me, makes me feel less "bad".
So...I'm challenging myself and my friends and family to put our phones down. Find a time in your day when you can sit and check all that the world has to offer via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. Then...spend the rest of your day living in the present.
This is a difficult challenge. Don't think for a second that this will be easy. Make a list of the things you could do instead. I have a million things that "
I never have time for". Yet, I find time to like statuses and pictures on social media sites. I miss out on important conversations that happen right in front of me because I get so concerned with conversations that are happening on FB.
Social media isn't a bad thing. It's like anything else in life. You have to find the right balance. Good luck friends! Just think of how proud your Granny will be if you connect again.
Have a blessed day!
Referee of
3, 23
1 comment:
Wise words, Amy! Loved the pictures of you girls! Looked like you were having a blast!
Post a Comment