One of the hardest things about being a parent is explaining the reality of life and death to your children. I can remember having to do this a few years ago when we lost our beloved Haley dog. The boys were at school and she was very sick. She didn't make it and I was a mess. When they came home from school, Coach and I sat them down and explained that in this life...we live here on earth only for a little while. When our lives here are finished, we get to go to heaven and live forever. Even though the words are so amazing and the story is so true...it never gets easier to tell someone about death. Each child dealt with the death of Haley in a different way, but they dealt with it and we moved forward. I always say forward instead of moving on because I don't think life as we know it ever goes on without a loved one. It simply moves forward.
Yesterday, we lost our Grandma. Steve's Grandma...my Grandma...and the boys' Great Grandma. She was a wonderful, loving woman. She has been struggling for some time now and we knew it was coming. She lived a full life and died at the age of 95. She was a school teacher and loved her students. She loved her daughter and her grandsons very much. And they loved her...
Which made telling them about her passing even more difficult. Again, the reality of being an adult and a parent came rushing in. I love to live in a happy place. I like to protect people from hurt and avoid confrontation. In my happy place, sadness rarely comes, and life is good most of the time. Anytime my happy place gets interrupted, I struggle. Today, as we told our kids what had happened, I struggled. We all struggled.
Even though she has lived a full life...
Even though we knew it was coming...
Even though she is with Jesus, and Grandpa, and all of her Brandy dogs...
It is painful. It is painful to watch the ones you love hurting.
When I lost my Grandma Katie years ago, I remember how hard it was to move forward. She was so special to me. I remember thinking about her house, her smile, and her porch swing. Whenever I think of her, I think of the porch swing.
In talking to Middle last night through the tears, I asked what he would remember about his Grandma. He said "Birds...she loved birds." And she did. She loved them. She loved to feed them and watch them from her window. She loved playing the piano, her church, her home in Valley Center, and her family.
As a parent, we can't protect them from reality. All we can do is soften the fall by being loving and understanding as they learn to deal with what is real and true. And we can teach them the love of Jesus. It is amazing how much comfort and peace you find knowing your loved one is with the Lord. It helps return us to the happy place in which we live.
Prayers would be appreciated during this time. Thank you!
Have a blessed day!
Referee of 3
1 comment:
Hugging you and your whole family right now! She sounds like a wonderful grandma whose love will always be felt. <3
Post a Comment